March 26, 2015

The Ellory Bag, A New Pattern by Cozy Nest Designs






Today, I am excited to share with you a bag I tested and completed a few weeks ago.  It is the Ellory Bag by Sarah Gido of Cozy Nest Designs and it is being released today.

My first step was deciding on fabric.  This is always a fun part for me.  Here is what I came up with from my stash.  The flowered fabric would be the outside of the bag, the green fabric would be the lining and the faux leather would be the piping and the handles.




The pattern is clear and concise with lots of computer generated pictures that depict the steps so it is easy to see what you need to do.  The pattern pieces all connect into one long sheet and then you cut the pieces out from that.  There are suggested layout pictures for the fabrics with check boxes to mark when the piece has been cut.  In fact, the check boxes go throughout all of the directions so that you can check off the steps after you complete them.  It makes me feel like I am making progress when I mark them and it makes it very easy to find your place when you start sewing again after a break.  I love all of that.


And, I love the look of this bag.  It reminds me of a bowling bag and I like the shape of it.  The Ellory Bag is a good sized bag.  The finished size is 18" wide, 15" high and 4" deep.





There are three separate zipper openings on the top of this bag.  One on each side and one in the middle.  They lead to three separate compartments.  The two zipper openings on the side are made with 4 separate 11" zippers, but I chose to use two 22" double zips instead.




This next picture shows the bag with all three openings open.


The bottom of the bag has bag feet which take a while to find because of the print of my bag.


This pattern is available today.  You can find it on Craftsy here.  You can see some of the other testers' bags here.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Marilyn! I love your faux weather straps and piping! Now I do have to tell you how much I like the exterior fabric....because I just bought some of it at Hobby Lobby on sale!!! I'm still not sure how I am going to use it, but I can see how great it is for a bag! Just as an aside, I also have some of the lighthouse fabric you have used and I am waiting to find a good use for it also! I guess "great minds" buy alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I guess great minds do buy alike!

      Delete
  2. I'm in love with using double zips. I thought at first it was overkill on my pendleton 2zipHipster but running around japan with a water bottle sticking up, it came in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too, Kathy especially on larger bags. It certainly makes access easier.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Daryl. It is very roomy and the three separate compartments are great.

      Delete
  4. Just beautiful. I was part of the pretest and gave up trying to get the side pockets linings in so they looked smooth and neat. I see she has made some changes to the side pockets because two 11 inch zippers were not an option at first, so will try again when I get time. I have loved her patterns and testing for her, in fact, I just retired my Savannah bag made about 2 years ago. Don't know why I had such trouble putting in the side linings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful. I was part of the pretest and gave up trying to get the side pockets linings in so they looked smooth and neat. I see she has made some changes to the side pockets because two 11 inch zippers were not an option at first, so will try again when I get time. I have loved her patterns and testing for her, in fact, I just retired my Savannah bag made about 2 years ago. Don't know why I had such trouble putting in the side linings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put mine in and sewed the linings by hand. It took a while but it was worth it.

      Delete
  6. Looks great! Your work looks always so professional and this one is no exception. Seems great for using on carry-on when traveling. Or maybe it can be used to go shopping for fabrics and notions!! LOL You are really on a roll sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norma. I love yo sew everyday as long as my hands are OK.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Norma. I love yo sew everyday as long as my hands are OK.

      Delete
  7. You did an amazing job. The fabric is gorgeous and I'm amazed at how neat the piping is with the zipper. Not something I'd look forward to doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. The most difficult part was hand sewing the pocket linings. I didn't think I could get them in neatly by machine.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Maria. The most difficult part was hand sewing the pocket linings. I didn't think I could get them in neatly by machine.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete