February 17, 2014

A Bag for Victims






For the last 22 years, my husband and I have attended a Mardi Gras dinner and auction, the biggest fund raiser for the Victim's Assistance Program in Summit County, Ohio.  This year we will be unable to go for the first time since this fund raiser first began in 1992.  They asked if I would donate a bag for the auction which I was delighted to do.

Before I get to the bag, just a few words about this excellent program.  In 1972, the Reverand Bob Denton formed this program with a few others after realizing that the criminals had many programs available to them but that victims of crime had nothing.  This program offers crisis intervention, court advocacy, trauma therapy, 24 hour hotline, and community outreach.  The Reverand Bob Denton is a dear friend of ours and in fact he presided over our wedding in August of 1989.  Is it really going to be 25 years???  Now for the bag....

The pattern I chose was the Sugar and Spice Bag by Christine at Chris W Designs.  I love this bag and I vary the amount of piping I use from bag to bag.  Because this fabric was very busy, I only piped the four exterior pockets.  Like I said in my last post, the piping foot that I bought makes this incredibly easy.  Make sure the piping foot that you use is the right size for the piping.  I bought a set of three different sizes (1/8", 3/16", 1/4") and the smallest one fits store bought piping perfectly.


Here is the finished bag...


and the recessed zipper...

11 comments:

  1. Marilyn that fabric is GORGEOUS and suits the bag perfectly!! I think I should invest in some piping feet one of these days too...I just use my zipper foot at the moment...it works of course BUT hey....who doesn't like new toys! LOLLL.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Christine. I wasn't always 100% satisfied with the look of my piping application with a zipper foot. I thought if there was help out there, I should take it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn I love paisleys and this bag looks beautiful in that fabric! How sweet of you to donate this bag too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Daryl. It is such a great cause....one never knows when they will become a victim of crime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome. That fabric is very chic! And having the bag made for charity makes it even more awesome. I have to get a piping foot too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Norma. I debated whether I actually used piping enough to justify it, but I am so glad I got them. The piping turns out great the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely bag! and great cause.. whoever gets it should be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm desperately trying to keep up with the blogs I follow. I'm following yours on bloglovin but for some reason I don't seem to have had any updates from bloglovin. Anyway I'm here now and I'll look into bloglovin later. I love this bag and the fabric you chose is just gorgeous. You probably know I sew alot of bags in brown so this is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking this up to my Weekend Link Party, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH.MY.GOODNESS.HOW.BEAUTIFUL ! AND WHAT A WONDERFUL PROGRAM THE REV. STARTED FOR VICTIMS.

    ReplyDelete